Saturday, August 1, 2009

Savory Pancakes and Cast Iron Pans

I threw together some ingredients last weekend for a breakfast/brunch dish and was really pleased with how easy and good they were. I was going to make regular pancakes, but didn’t have any bacon or sausage links or patties to serve on the side. I did have some browned loose sausage in the freezer that I thought I could throw in with the batter to incorporate the meat into the dish. I really don’t have measurements for any of this, but you can add as little or as much of anything that you’d like

Savory Pancakes

1 batch of pancake mix, mixed accordingly to directions on the box or a homemade recipe
1 cup or so of browned sausage crumbles or crumbled bacon
½ shredded zucchini, if desired (or other veggie)
Savory spices according to your preferences, this is approximately what I used:
Crushed red pepper flakes
Garlic
Basil
Thyme
Onion powder
Oregano
Salt
Pepper

After the batter is mixed, stir in meat and zucchini if using. I didn’t want sausage in all of the pancakes so I cooked a batch before I stirred in the sausage. Shake desired amount of spices that you’d like to use—don’t worry about measuring, just guess. It’s always better to use a little less than more if you aren’t sure. I probably used at least 1/4 of a teaspoon of each of the above spices, some probably more of. Prepare skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray, butter, or oil and heat until drops of water sizzle when dripped into pan. Pour batter into skillet and flip after bubbles start to pop on the surface of the pancakes. Remove from heat when both sides are golden brown. Serve with a touch of syrup if you like to mix salty and sweet or possibly even some sort of gravy if you’d prefer your dish to be completely savory.

If you have a cast iron pan, they work great for pancakes. I ordered one of these Lodge Logic Cast Iron Pans (the 12 inch) from Amazon and I will be getting more because I use it for so much and want other sizes. They come preseasoned, so they are easy to care for from the start. These ship free with a $25 purchase from Amazon and are part of the Buy 3, Get the 4th free promotion (they don't have to be the same item...just part of the promotion). They are American-made

8 inch Cast Iron Pan


10 inch Cast Iron Pan


12 inch Cast Iron Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment