Thursday, May 14, 2009

Asparagus Season!

Sometimes I have an obsession with asparagus. This recipe never lets me down. Especially when I find 4 bunches of perfectly fresh asparagus at Anderson's for 99 cents. I have no idea why it was marked down because the bunches that I didn't cook right away lasted over a week in the fridge. Find other good asparagus recipes at Tammy's Recipe Swap.

Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter
Cooking Light

20 asparagus spears, trimmed (I just use the bunch that I buy it in)
Cooking spray
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/16 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce (check for gluten)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange asparagus in a single layer on baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until tender. Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and vinegar. Drizzle over the asparagus, tossing well to coat. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

45 calories, 3 g fat

*You could grill the asparagus if it's too hot for the oven
**I usually double the soy sauce and vinegar so there is more deliciousness per spear. I don’t find the need to increase the butter.
***If you don't know how to trim asparagus, just wash it and then try to bend it at the bottom of the stem...it will snap where it's supposed to (where it gets woody)

Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you would be able to snap a picture of this? :) It sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will next time I make it--probably within a week or two. I'm not in the habit of taking pics of my food, but maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete