Friday, March 4, 2011

Crock Pot Quinoa Casserole

Crock Pot Quinoa Casserole
Adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking (which is awesome, by the way)

1 cup quinoa (I prefer red quinoa, but used white this time)
2 cups broth (I used 1 c. beef that was leftover and 1 cup turkey broth)
1/2 T olive oil
1/2 t salt
Dash of freshly ground pepper
1/2 t cinnamon
1/3 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
handful of baby spinach
handful of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 block feta cheese, crumbled (or goat cheese)

I used the 2.5 quart slow cooker, 4 qt. would probably work better as it got a little crowded to stir.  Rinse the quinoa like the instructions say (though I didn't feel like it and it was fine) and put it in the slow cooker.  Stir in the oil, broth, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Add the cranberries and sun-dried tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-4. When the quinoa is done, most of the liquid will be absorbed and the germ will separate from the grain slightly like a little curly tail - try not to overcook it. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, and add the sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese. Stir gingerly to mix. Add a large handful of baby spinach to the top of the crockpot, and close the lid. Cook on high for about 20 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Stir again to distribute the spinach.

My verdict:
This has a great flavor, but I didn't love the texture.  I cooked mine for closer over 3 hours on high and that was a little too long and it became a bit mushy.  Next time I'd stir in the extras before all of the water is absorbed so it doesn't overcook in the end.  I'd probably actually just cook it on the stovetop instead of in the slow cooker - it would only take about 20 minutes on the stove and if I have to watch it more closely in the slow cooker, it doesn't save me any time/effort.  I would also use red quinoa - I definitely prefer it to the white as it always seems to end up more firm and nuttier - and I don't seem to overcook it like the regular. The cinnamon flavor was fantastic though - especially with the sweet of the cranberries, the savory of the sun-dried tomatoes, and the salty of the feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment