Saturday, March 5, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

I made these brownies for Valentine's Day.  I wouldn't let my husband come into the kitchen while I was making them so that he wouldn't be biased knowing they are made with beans. He really couldn't tell and actually asked if they had coffee in them - I think next time I'll add some instant coffee to give them more of that taste.  They were a slightly odd texture - but good - not quite fudgy, not quite brownie.  I highly recommend making them - especially if you have anyone who is gluten-free.

Black Bean Brownies
adapted from Eco Child's Play

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 eggs
3 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
a pinch salt
Handful of M&M's, nuts, or other toppings, if desired

Preheat oven to 350* F.  Pour drained beans into a blender, set on puree and blend until smooth. Add in the rest of the ingredients and continue blending until evenly mixed.  Pour bean mixture into a greased 8 by 8 pan. Toss any topping that you want to use on top.  Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment