Thursday, October 15, 2009

Meatless Chili

I made this chili last weekend and I loved it. It has a meaty texture and look to it with the lentils. This is recipe makes a large amount - 16 servings! I don't have a pot big enough or a need for that amount, so I cut it approximately in half. The recipe didn't seem very spicy or unique--just a basic tasting chili, but still good. We like spicy and complex chili flavors, so I doctored it up quite a bit with extra spices.
If you have a favorite chili recipe but want to make it meatless, I suggest using the spices that your recipe recommends. I'm always looking for new chili recipes to try (any type of meat) so if you have a favorite, leave me the recipe or link in the comments!


Low Fat Meatless Chili

1 pound lentils (dry) (I used brown)
8 cups water
40 ounces stewed or crushed tomatoes -- no salt added
60 ounces kidney beans -- dark, light or mixed
1 each chopped onion
1 each bell pepper -- chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons cumin powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground red pepper
3 cups water

Bring water to boil in Dutch oven. Wash lentils and add to water. Cover, cook on high until boiling, then simmer on low heat, covered, for approximately 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove lentils from heat, drain and return to Dutch oven. Add stewed tomatoes, undrained kidney beans and chopped vegetables and 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Add seasonings, stirring occasionally. Add remaining water, if desired, to dilute consistency. Let simmer for at least 2 hours or cook in a slow cooker on low for the day. Makes 16 10-ounce servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment