Monday, April 4, 2011

Swiss Chard and Carrot Gratin

I have a gratin problem.  Ever since we had the cabbage and cheddar gratin, we want it all of the time.  I know we'll get sick of it if I keep making it, plus I get all of this other amazing produce from Greener Grocer Market Bag and Grean B.E.A.N. Delivery, that I hate to buy any other produce at the grocery.  In my last Market Bag, I got swiss chard.  Other than it being a member of the "greens" family, I essentially knew nothing about it.  I started looking for recipes and came upon some simple saute preparations...and then...a gratin recipe!  I didn't like the sound of the sauce recipe for the gratin (olive oil bechamel), so I decided to stick a recipe that we love (cabbage and cheddar gratin, of course), with a few changes.  As always with my recipes, use whatever cheese you want and whatever spices you want. 

Swiss Chard and Carrot Gratin

1 cup sharp white cheddar, divided
1 bunch Swiss Chard
1 large carrot, shredded. (I use a veggie peeler to "shred" carrots)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup broth, chicken or vegetable
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal (used GF)
Couple of shakes of dried parsley, dill, thyme, and red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dijon mustard (I used whole grain)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Prepare the swiss chard first; you'll use the stems and greens. Bring a large pot of water to a boil while you stem the chard. Wash the stems thoroughly, trim away the ends and slice crosswise about 1/2 inch thick.  When the water in the pot comes to a boil, salt generously and add the chard stalks. Turn the heat down to medium, and boil gently for five to seven minutes until the stalks are just cooked through. Remove from the pot with a skimmer or a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels or in a strainer. While the stems are boiling, wash the greens in two changes of water, and tear or cut into 2-3 inch pieces. Fill a bowl with ice water.  After removing the stems from the pot, bring the water in the pot back to a boil and add the greens. Blanch for one to two minutes until tender, and transfer to the ice water. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then drain and squeeze out excess water.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Set aside 1/4 cup of the cheese. Toss remaining ingredients together in a large bowl, along with the chard greens and stems, and transfer to a lightly greased 8 inch baking dish or 2 qt. gratin dish. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover, top with reserved cheese and bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes more.

Yield: Serves four as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment