Friday, April 1, 2011

Cabbage and Cheddar Gratin

I got a head of green cabbage in my Market Bag and was disappointed because I don't really like cabbage, or at least I never knew what to do with it.  I searched around for some ideas that wouldn't involve making it into some sort of "slaw", because neither of us would really eat that.  But this - we LOVED.  So much.  For some reason, we both thought it tasted a little like hashbrowns, which makes no sense at all.  We liked it so much that we made another batch 2 days later with the other half of the cabbage.  My suggestions is to just double the recipe in the first place - what in the heck are you going to do with a half a head of cabbage anyway?
Seriously, I'm already eagerly awaiting the day I get another head of cabbage in my Market Bag or produce delivery... LOVE.

Cabbage and Cheddar Gratin
adapted from Whole Foods

1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar, divided (or your preferred cheese - freshly shredded is recommended)
3 cups (about 1/2 head) chopped or thinly sliced green cabbage
3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth (I had chicken open, so I used that)
1/2 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal (used GF)
3 tablespoons mixed chopped herbs, such as parsley, dill and thyme (or a couple of shakes of these dried herbs)
2 tablespoons dijon mustard (I used whole grain, check for gluten)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
crushed red pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350°F. Set aside 1/4 cup of the cheese. Toss remaining ingredients together in a large bowl and transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover, top with reserved cheese and bake until golden brown, 15 minutes more.

*if you double the recipe, just use a 9x13 dish.  Go ahead and double.  I ate this for breakfast once!

LOVE.

*UPDATE - I made this in the slow-cooker too and it turned out great.  I cooked on high for about 4-5 hours, if on low go 8-9 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment