Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Roasted Carrots and Turnips

I got carrots and turnips with my weekly market bag and I've recently discovered that I love turnips, so I was excited to try this recipe.  It turned out really well - when these veggies roast, they develop a naturally sweet/caramelized taste, which contrasts nicely with balsamic. 

Roasted Carrots and Turnips

6-8 small carrots, peeled and cut into diagonal slices
2 large turnips, peeled, sliced, then cut into diagonal strips slightly larger than carrots
1-2 T olive oil, enough to coat vegetables
2 tsp. plus 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
couple of sprinkles preferred seasonings (garlic, sage, rosemary) I used 21 Season Salute from Trader Joes
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to season if desired

Preheat oven to 350 F. Peel carrots and turnips and cut into diagonal pieces, making the turnips slightly larger than the carrots, since turnips cook faster. Put vegetables into ziploc bag, pour in olive oil and 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar, then add seasoning. Seal the bag and squeeze to move the vegetables around until they are well-coated with oil and the vegetables are mixed around.
Spray a roasting pan with oil. Or if you don't want to wash the pan, line it with foil and spray that.  Pour veggies out onto pan and spread around so they're in a single layer. Roast 35-45 minutes, until vegetables are softened and starting to brown. Put into serving bowl and toss with remaining 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar*, and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.

*I had a balsamic reduction that I'd made previously and I used this as a topping instead of the straight balsamic.  I would highly recommend making a reduction for this.  To do so...simmer balsamic vinegar until it...well...reduces by about half.  When you drag a spoon across the bottom of the pan, it should leave a little path for a second or two.  Some people add a little brown sugar while reducing for a little more sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment