Friday, January 21, 2011

Spicy Slaw

I got this recipe from my Weekly Fresh Market Bag Subscription through Greener Grocer.  They got it from Elana's Pantry.  I adapted it a little because I didn't have all of the ingredients, as usual.  Plus I really feel like recipes are just supposed to be a guideline...
We both liked this much more than we expected. I wouldn't go to buy a head of purple cabbage to make this, but if I ended up with one, I'd use it this way again. 

Spicy Slaw

½ head purple cabbage, shredded (from my market bag)
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped (didn't have, so I used my last cube of frozen cilantro from Trader Joes)
1 carrot, grated (from my market bag)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (from my market bag)
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 limes, juiced (didn't have, I used 2 random packs of "True Lime" powder that I mixed with a little water)
2 tablespoons olive oil
couple pinches of suger, to taste
½ teaspoon sea salt
couple of sprinkles of your other favorite seasonings, if desired

Place the cabbage, cilantro, carrot, jalapeño and ginger in a large bowl. Toss veggies with lime, olive oil, and sugar, then sprinkle with salt.

My tips:
  • To shred the cabbage, I cut the head in half and then cut each half in half so that it would sit flat.  I just sliced it as thin as I could with a knife and it falls into shreds.  I only needed half of the cabbage, so I threw some in a Maque Choux that I was making and froze the rest.  I've never frozen fresh cabbage before but googled it and it people say it's fine.  I'll throw it in a soup at some point. 
  • I always "grate/shred" carrots using a vegetable peeler - I like the thin strips better and it's faster - also easier to clean.
  • I also "mince" ginger using a peeler - I just shave off little short chunks from the ginger knob that I keep in the freezer. 
  • For the jalepenos, I (well, my husband), chopped them using my Cuisinart Hand Stick Blender Chopper.  It's one of my favorite, most useful wedding shower gifts.  Tonight I/he blended corn with it for a soup, minced 2 jalepenos, and blended up the clementines for my clementine cake (recipe coming soon).  I'd say that's pretty useful.  It's runs around $40 on amazon w/free shipping- also available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for about the same price, and you can probably find a coupon to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment