Thursday, September 3, 2009

Caramel Apple Bars

If you need a dessert for tailgating, a football party, or for Labor Day, these Caramel Apple Bars are perfect for the start of fall--and apples are abundant at the farmer's markets! I supposed I should mention that they are also DELICIOUS! I made theses several times last year when I had an abundance of tart apples from my Wayward Seed Farm CSA. (still kicking myself for not signing up in time this year...) Anyway, as I said, I used very tart apples but sweeter ones may be fine--they will just be extra-sweet bars. I don't know that I used shortening, because I'm not a big fan. I usually just use butter in place of it in recipes, so I imagine that I did the same for these--I just can't remember for sure.


Caramel Apple Bars

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples (3 medium)
3 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 bag (14 ounces) caramels

Heat oven to 400ºF. Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening in large bowl. Stir in 1 3/4 cups flour, the oats, salt and baking soda. Reserve 2 cups oat mixture; press remaining oat mixture in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Toss apples and 3 tablespoons flour; spread over mixture in pan. Heat caramels over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted; pour evenly over apples. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press lightly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender. For 36 bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows while warm. Store covered in refrigerator.

Calories 145; Fat 5 g; Cholesterol 10 mg; Sodium 130 mg; Carb 24 g Fiber 1g; Protein 2g

They aren't terrible for you...if you can limit yourself to just one. Good luck with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment