Thursday, August 13, 2009

Nacho Spuds

I changed this Rachael Ray recipe a bit, but the concept is still the same---I just added some veggies and used salsa instead of tomatoes. I forgot to take a picture. It was very good and (relatively) healthy.
Nacho Spuds
Adapted From Every Day with Rachael Ray

2 large baking potatoes (1 1/2 pounds total), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil – I used spray oil, so less than 2 T.
Salt and pepper
Chopped onion and garlic, if desired (maybe a 1/2 an onion and 2 cloves garlic)
Chopped zucchini or other veggie, if desired
1/2 pound lean ground beef sirloin
One 15-ounce can black or pinto beans, rinsed
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (Ortega is GF)
1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used about 1 cup)
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise (I used salsa, which I stirred into the cooked meat)
Sour cream and shredded lettuce, for serving

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 450°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil or spray with cooking oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and bake until golden, about 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray or drizzle with oil. Cook onions and garlic until softened, if using -- (I also added chopped zucchini at this point, because I had a ½ of zucchini to use). Add ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the beans, taco seasoning and 3 tablespoons water. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring, until heated through, about 10 minutes. If it’s starting to get dry, just add a little more water.
Transfer the potatoes an oven-safe dish or pan (9x13 pyrex or a pizza pan). Sprinkle half of the cheddar on top, spoon on the meat mixture, then top with the tomatoes and remaining cheddar. Since I didn’t use actual tomatoes, I just stirred the salsa into the beef mixture before spreading on the potatoes. Place in the oven and turn off the heat. Let stand until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with the sour cream and lettuce.

***The recipe calls for another ½ T. olive oil to cook the meat…I never need extra oil when cooking ground beef – even using 93% lean. I don’t have any problem with it sticking in my cast iron pan. If I’m cooking onions in the pan first, I’ll spray it with cooking spray for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment