Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Protein Pancakes

I made these on Sunday because I was craving pancakes and had some cottage cheese to use up. They are pretty good (as long as you aren’t expecting typical pancakes). I topped 2 big ones with 2 crumbled slices of bacon and pure maple syrup, but I think they’d be good with peanut butter too. It made about 7 pancakes, but they are thin and probably aren’t intended to feed more than 2 people. If you eat a big breakfast, it may just be one meal. (Note: I calculated that the whole batch is 310 calories, 4 grams fat, and 34 grams protein using nutritiondata.com)

Protein Pancakes

1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (uncooked) (check for gluten, used certified GF if allergic)
1/4 cup low-fat/FF cottage cheese (or 1 scoop vanilla protein powder instead)
4-6 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together the oatmeal, cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to make a batter (I used a blender, but it's probably not necessary). Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the batter and cook over medium heat until both sides are lightly browned. Use your choice of toppings. The flavor isn’t sweet like typical pancakes. I could use these in place of bread/tortilla for a sandwich since the flavor is plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment